Saturday, February 12, 2011

Going Flexitarian

My blogger slash yogini friend often talks about how she has gone flexitarian.So, what exactly is a flexitarian? From what I understand (yes, based on the best information source, Google, haha), one who is a flexitarian is somewhat of a meat-eating vegan. Lemme rephrase that: they are those who follow a mostly vegetarian diet but on occasion eat meat.

In my quest to becoming healthier and to lose weight, I have found that giving up a lot of red meat and pork has helped a lot, but I don't think I'm ready or willing for that matter, to switch to a full vegan diet. However, I have seen myself become more health conscious in the way I pick my meals. When I go to the market, for example, I no longer by slabs of beef or steaks, instead, I buy fresh fish and fresh produce more.

I am lucky that fresh seafood and the like is readily available in my local groceries. For example, it might be harder to buy oysters if you were in a far off location that took a lot of time to travel to and was far from the source. Nonetheless, if you really wanted to go healthier, I'm sure you'd find ways to do that.

The common downfall, however, to switching to a more flexitarian or perhaps less meat based diet is the tendency to run out of new ways too cook these items. After all, how many ways can you dress up a fish, right? However, the internet is definitely a vast resource of great recipes to check out, so that should make for lots of experiments to try. I even came across a cocktail recipe with oysters at the ILoveBlueSea blog

At the end of the day, however, what I think is most important is not whether you go vegan or not, but it's making sure you make healthier choices and eat in moderation.

6 comments:

Jane said...

You can do it, girl!!!

peachkins said...

Hi Ria, dropping by here at nakikibasa....

Ajay Banag said...

medsheaven.net to help me lose weight fast, it works like a charm, I lost a lot of fat weight without doing any hardcore exercises!

teJan said...

thats really a good idea of you Ria.. goodluck:)

thanks for following my blogs..added your links:) one of 3 can'y open:)

Vacation Rental Makati said...

Thanks for sharing us your idea :)

David Pascht said...

Nice post!

for more reads, click on the ARCHIVES at the SIDEBAR :-)

or check out my other blogs! yapatoots | Fat Girl No More | Daydream Believer | Teacher Ria | OnADietDaw

Related Posts with Thumbnails