Friday, January 15, 2010

Scrambled Tofu: A New Way to Enjoy an Old Favorite.


I have to give credit to my colleague L's mother for introducing me to the idea of scrambled tofu. The first time I heard it, I was a bit skeptical. I had never thought of cooking tofu this way. However, after trying it once, I was hooked! I can honestly eat this for days on end. What I like best about it, besides the fact that it is uber healthy, is that cooking it is so easy and flexible.It can be prepared totally vegetarian or mixed with meats or hams for those who want the added flavor. I have mixed this up with so many different ingredients and I have yet to find one that does not sit with me well. My favorite add-on to this is fresh shitake mushrooms.

This is how I prepare my scrambled tofu:


Ingredients: 

  • 2-4 squares (or 1 big block) of tokwa (I prefer the local tofu compared to the Japanese kind because it is firmer), crumbled
  • half of a large white onion, chopped
  • tomatoes (amount depends on you. I like lots of tomatoes in my dish), chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter (may be
  • spring onions (optional)
Procedure:
  1. In a pan, melt butter and sauté onions and tomatoes.
  2. Add in crumbled tofu. Mix until tofu is cooked, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add in spring onions and whatever add-on you prefer. 
Possible add-ons:
  • strips of Spam (I love the hot and spicy kind!)
  • fresh mushrooms, Shitake being my favorite!
  • cooked shrimps
  • ham or bacon bits
  • whatever floats your boat! 

1 comment:

Lace Llanora said...

Sarap! :)

I like my tofu stir-fried with ground pork. Try adding bean sprouts if you like them.

for more reads, click on the ARCHIVES at the SIDEBAR :-)

or check out my other blogs! yapatoots | Fat Girl No More | Daydream Believer | Teacher Ria | OnADietDaw

Related Posts with Thumbnails